Eden Winters and I had an amazing time in New York City with the Dreamspinner crew and at the Rainbow Book Fair. We roomed with Carole Cummings and Jenni Hennig, both awesome ladies that we met in the flesh for the first time. The Dreamspinner gang–Elizabeth, Ariel, Lyn, Anne and the editors and artists– gave us an insider’s look into publishing, and then we had a full day at the book fair. If I’d bought every book I wanted, I’d have had to rent an 18-wheeler to get home. I met some incredible people, including JM Snyder, K. Piet, and Rick McGranahan.
Some of the things I learned:
1. In case of blackout, hand Ariel Tachna a copper wire. The city will light up again.
2. In my ongoing efforts at world domination, Anne Regan shall be chief logistics officer and the opposition will be vanquished.
3. In the same quest, Elizabeth North will be chief intelligence officer, at which point I shall have every scrap of relevant information, even things I did not know I needed to know.
4. Dreamspinner authors can make anything come out sounding smutty.
5. Limousines don’t actually explode from laughter, although the doors bulge a little.
6. JP Barnaby, Eden Winters, Carole Cummings, and Andrew Gray can riff off each other like crazy. Two words: were-possum.
7. New York pizza is everything the rest of the world has been told it is.
8. While there is no such thing as “too many books” it is a proven fact they weigh 6 times their original weight after a long trek up and down Manhattan.
9. It’s entirely too easy to confuse a cabbie. Ours misplaced La Guardia Airport.
10. Four women, one bathroom: doable.
11. The world is a chilly, windy place that looks very strange from a quarter mile above street level.
12. Dreamspinner treats their authors as valued members of the organization.
Pictures coming soon!